Settlement Worker (Wood Buffalo YMCA) #27148
Company: YMCA of Wood Buffalo
Company: YMCA of Wood Buffalo
YMCA Immigrant Settlement Services Has the following full-time position available: Settlement Worker To provide newcomers with orientation, information, coordinated community referrals, supportive settlement counseling and translation and interpretation services which will assist in acquiring skills needed to fully participate in local community life.
Integrated Services Program (I.S.P) Settlement Counseling
Referral and Community Resourcing
- Provide orientation and complete intake services to individual/family newcomers, including tombstone data and checklist information.
- Collaborate with newcomer clients to develop a settlement plan (short and/or long-term) and determine a strategic, time managed approach to achieving self-sufficiency.
- Escort newcomers during initial settlement to services to ensure proper and complete introduction to mainstream services.
- Assist newcomers to represent themselves via telephone or written response.
- Encourage newcomers to drop in for additional information and resources.
Group Orientation & Educational Services
- Provide newcomers with timely and accurate information on a broad range of community services in the areas of health and human resources, employment, education and recreation.
- Enhance language acquisition strategies through linkages to specialized community agencies.
- Coordinate referrals and follow up to other YMCA or community resources, as appropriate, to meet client focused needs.
Other Assigned duties
- Take the lead in the coordination of orientation classes for newcomers in current critical areas: e.g. taxation, training and employment services, legal issues, cultural custom and norms, medical/mental health, women’s health, gender based issues, etc.
- Assist with the coordination of special events – planning, coordination, development, implementation and evaluation of all special events.
- Respond to community requests for information.
- Attend community meetings.
- Answer telephone and in-person callers promptly
- Provide information about the agency’s services.
- Complete all necessary client and agency documentation.
- Take responsibility for documentation within client files as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in the area of psychology, social work or relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
- Experience working with Immigrants and newcomers is highly desirable.
- Additional languages are an asset.
- Competencies Leadership
- Motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes Service orientation
- Identify and create opportunities to enhance each immigrant’s experience.
- Build positive interactions internally and externally to achieve work related goals. Quality Focus
- Ensures success criteria for self and programs are set, reviewed, and surpassed regularly to provide excellent client service.
Perform Job in a Safe Manner
- Assumes responsibility for the delivery of services and reports. Initiative
- Ability to work independently and to seek clarification when needed.
- Planning & Organizing
- Establish clearly defined and effective course of action to accomplish short and long term goals.
The incumbent shall maintain a safe work environment by:
- The incumbent will carry out their work in a manner that will not create a hazard to their own health and safety.
- H/She will be active participants in all agency safety processes and will be encouraged and supported when striving to make YMCA Immigrant Settlement Services a safe work environment.
- Perform duties correctly in a safe and efficient manner.
- Complying with agency safety objectives.
- Maintain clean work areas.
- Reporting any incidents, near misses or injuries to a supervisor immediately.
- Offering any suggestions that will improve the safety of the work place.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resumes via email to Reave MacLeod, Senior Director of Community Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.