Supervisor, Letter Carrier #27383
Company: Canada Post
Job order - J0412-0082
Job Type: Permanent, Full-time
Category Collection & Delivery
Location(s): Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
If you are ambitious, talented and driven, consider a fast-moving career with Canada Post. We are currently seeking a Supervisor to oversee the activities of a team of letter carriers, mail service couriers and RSMCs assigned to a Postal station to ensure that proper procedures are followed in the handling and delivery of mail relay bundles and the administration of funds collected.
Your role will be to ensure that corporate procedures, safety practices and security regulations are followed and service commitments are met, and will strive to maintain good public relations with mail delivery customers.
The successful candidate will
Job requirements (Education and Work experience)
- Plan, direct and inspect the daily operation of the work unit to ensure efficient sortation, routing and delivery of mail in accordance with corporate regulations, procedures and instructions
- Schedule and allocate staff to ensure sortation of mail and routes covered, determine the need for extra relief staff, and authorize overtime when required
- Measure distances for delivery to new or existing points of call according to the Route Measurement System and processes, determine whether new points of call meet delivery service requirements, propose solutions or changes to delivery routes if required, and consult and work with Route Measurement Officers on changes to routes in the delivery centre
- Assess and recommend changes to the provision of relay bundles and drops to ensure the routes are properly serviced and that conveyance costs are minimized
- Regularly check on the performance and appearance of delivery employees while on their routes to ensure adherence to established routes of travel, official dress regulations and proper methods of delivery, train new employees in their various duties and instruct them in new methods and procedures
- Supervise, coach and provide guidance and leadership to employees, oversee staffing, the development of objectives and performance management including attendance management, resolve staff issues including taking disciplinary action when required, consult with Labour Relations and/or union representatives on the application of the terms of the collective agreement, discuss various problems and changes in areas such as safety, overtime and route evaluations with shop stewards, attempt to resolve complaints before the grievance stage is reached, and create learning and knowledge transfer opportunities for assigned staff
- Promote and implement work place safety and health programs for the assigned team including: coaching and directing employees on safe work practices in order to reduce accident frequency and severity; conducting accident investigations and reporting incidences; addressing and resolving health and safety issues in a timely and efficient manner; conducting safety inspections; and taking corrective action to rectify unsafe operating conditions
- Enter employee, volume and addressing data into corporate systems, prepare reports to monitor performance, identify improvements, control operational costs and meet targets
- Liaise with other supervisors and enablers to ensure the effective coordination of operations or to resolve operational problems
- Report repairs related to the building, operational equipment and assets to the Manager, monitor and follow-up with appropriate third party and take corrective action as required
- Project professional service standards and ensure the customer experience is a priority when investigating and resolving service issues and customer complaints
- Investigate delivery impediments when the customer fails to maintain the required safety conditions, communicate issue with the customer to resolve or make other arrangements until the unsafe condition can be rectified and, if unable to resolve, take action to initiate suspension of delivery
- High School Diploma or provincial equivalent (GED) (Equivalent work experience, as defined below, may be accepted in lieu of a High School Diploma)
- Minimum 1 year experience managing a team. OR
- Minimum 2 years experience working within a unionized environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (i.e., understand the major features of each software application)
- Experience with distribution processes
- Experience working in a customer service role (e.g., dealing with customers)
Have a satisfactory safe driving record per CPC’s Professional Driver Program (PDP), which includes:
Canada Post offers
- Have held a permanent drivers license for the last 2 years
- Have not received more than 2 minor moving violations in last 2 years
- Have not received any major moving violations in last 2 years
- Have not had license suspended for moving violations in last 2 years
- Have not had license suspended more than once for non moving violations in last 2 years
- Have not received a criminal code conviction within in last 3 years
A total compensation package
Careers that deliver
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive program
- Comprehensive individual and family benefits coverage
- Vacation and leave options
- Defined Benefit component of the Canada Post Registered Pension Plan
Discover an exciting career with unlimited potential at Canada Post. Recognised as one of Canada’s Top 50 Corporate Citizens, the Most Iconic Brand and the most trusted public institution, we offer one of the most dynamic workplaces in the country. As one of Canada’s 100 Top Employers for four years in a row (2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010) we’re committed to attracting, retaining and developing a winning team to realize our vision of becoming a world leader.
Canada Post - Employment Equity and Conflict of Interest policies
Canada Post is committed to achieving a diverse workforce that mirrors the Canadian labour force. As a result, candidates from the four Equity groups (women, Aboriginal peoples, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities) are encouraged to self-identify.
If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Persons with a disability preventing them from applying on-line should contact our help-line at 1-877-427-7717.
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations. Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Conditions of Employment
Reliability and Security: Various levels depending on position - minimum Enhanced Reliability
Candidates must maintain a valid reliability / security clearance throughout the duration of employment.
For this selection process, we may find that email is the most efficient way to communicate with you. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required. Candidates who apply to selection processes should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email). Also, please check your email everyday as we may be inviting you to attend an interview or write a test for this job and we will be expecting a quick reply from you. If you are not able to access your email for a period of time (i.e. Vacation) failure to respond will indicate to our recruiters that you are no longer interested in being considered for the job opportunity and therefore, you will be removed from the competition process.
The screening board cannot make assumptions about your education and experience.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate IN THEIR COVER LETTER/RESUME how they meet the education and experience factors listed in the qualifications. Failure to provide this information will result in your application being rejected.
Your résumé must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements