Instrumentation Technician #27833
Company: Nexen Inc.
Job ID: 4236
Location: Fort McMurray
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department Oil Sands-Maintenance-LL
Posting Close Date 05/09/2012
Nexen has an excellent asset base and big opportunities for employees. What we do and how we do it means you get the chance to do more at Nexen.
Working for Nexen, the operator of Long Lake, is an opportunity to work for one of the top companies in Canada. Nexen is a Canadian-based oil and gas company with international operations. We're committed to working collaboratively, building our assets and finding new ways of developing our oil and gas resources - conventional and unconventional - through innovative adaptation of technology. This leads to a sustainable outcome, creating value for all of our stakeholders. At Nexen, it's not just what we do that makes us worldwide leaders - it's how we do it.
Long Lake is Canada's newest major oilsands development and the first to integrate in-situ Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) technology with onsite upgrading on a large scale. With input capacity of 70,000 barrels per day of bitumen, Long Lake is the largest SAGD facility in the world. The facility also employs a unique and proprietary upgrading solution that results in production of a Premium Synthetic Crude (PSCTM) oil that is superior to any other produced from the Canadian oilsands - at a distinct cost advantage over other operations.
Long Lake is located approximately 40 km southeast of Fort McMurray, in the Athabasca oilsands of northeastern Alberta. The lease is estimated to hold approximately six billion barrels of bitumen. As operator, Nexen is currently focused on ramping up production to reach an output capacity of 60,000 barrels per day of PSCTM.
This position is a Fort McMurray based position; therefore relocation is required. We offer highly competitive housing/rental assistance programs to all successful candidates.
Nestled in the boreal forest at the confluence of four rivers, Fort McMurray is a thriving, modern and culturally diverse city of 80,000 people. It's a vibrant community rich in history, with an unlimited potential for the future. Fort McMurray offers an attractive lifestyle for individuals and families, including state-of-the-art recreational and cultural facilities, big-city amenities and, of course, the great outdoors.
This is a field-level position that will maintain, repair, and support a variety of instrument equipment and control systems. Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, this position will perform the above duties and provide detailed repair history and work plan improvement suggestions. Other key interfaces are the area field operators and contract maintenance technicians.
- Safety and environmental compliance following Long Lake SESR policies and practices;
- Follow the work plan and report any deviations or delays to completing the work plan;
- Provide detailed repair history and failure codes as required;
- Jointly accountable in cooperation with the E & I Supervisor for all execution of emergency and planned maintenance activities, including turnarounds and reliability concerns;
- Mentorship of junior employees, trainees, and trades people;
- Perform work in a safe and efficient manner to established industry standards;
- Support the area team by being a participating member;
- Organize and perform major and minor instrument equipment maintenance, i.e., valves, transmitters, and gas and fire detection;
- Organize and perform routine preventative maintenance on all instrument equipment;
- Organize and perform routine minor maintenance including DeltaV operating system, facility control applications, Fieldbus and Hart firmware, and Allen-Bradley RSLogix software;
- Make suggestions for improvements to the preventative maintenance program for all instrument equipment;
- Work with, train, and mentor apprentice technicians;
- Provide technical expertise to assist the contractor technicians as required.
- 5 years' experience in an Oil/Gas plant environment;
- Journeyman Instrument Certification with Red Seal;
- Foundation Fieldbus, Hart, Modbus and DeviceNet experience would be considered an asset;
- Control valve and control valve pneumatic relaying troubleshooting experience;
- Delta V DCS system experience would be considered an asset;
- Instrument Engineering Technology diploma would be considered an asset.
Nexen Inc. offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement. No agency or telephone inquiries please. Only resumes of candidates being considered will be acknowledged.