Health, Safety & Environmental Protection Manager #28428
Location: AB - Fort McMurray
Job ID: 4687
Job Status: Full Time Regular
We construct amazing things from the ground up – huge, multidisciplinary projects, all over the continent – and we’re looking for some equally amazing people to join in and lend a hand.
We are seeking experienced Health, Safety & Environmental Protection Managers for our operations in Northern Alberta and Northern BC.
The Health, Safety & Environmental Protection Manager, experienced and fully competent in the profession, assumes a leadership role by providing guidance to project safety and operations staff and is responsible for the smooth functioning of day to day operations by influencing, developing and implementing agreed upon project plans ensuring that the corporate goal of zero incidents is achieved.
- Provides clear direction to team members and distributes workload to capitalize on individual and group strengths while ensuring balanced exposure to work experience and development opportunities.
- Performs regular worksite safety inspections on projects throughout their assigned geographic work area on a routine basis and implements corrective actions when necessary.
- Participates in development of Project Specific Safety Programs in alliance with Ledcor’s corporate safety program.
- Provides Supervision and employees with services and advice on safety, health and environment issues, conducts site safety orientation for new employees, coordinate and train the site rescue team.
- Applies knowledge and skills through the handling of complex problems and shares expertise with the Director of HSE and other Project Safety Coordinators in an ongoing effort to develop, revise and implement procedures, standards, rules and regulations.
- Verifies that work instructions (safe work procedures, job hazard analysis) are current and updated as the scope changes, responsible for “look ahead” mentality to eliminate risks.
- Assists in the investigation of incidents for cause identification and recommend corrective action, engages fully in a lessons learned- continuous improvement process within the area of influence.
- Administers/ monitors claims management, as necessary.
- Monitors and reports on the overall effectiveness of the safety program.
- Audits the quality of the field level hazard assessment cards and incident investigation reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Responsible for management of own time and that of others, develops plans for work activities over the medium and long term which supports strategic planning activities.
- May perform other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum 6+ years related work experience in the Industrial Construction Industry in a safety role.
- Possess a minimum of 1 year of previous HSE supervisory experience.
- NCSO (must have held designation for a minimum of 3 years)
- Possess current and valid Health and Safety designation issued from an accredited organization within Canada, e.g.: Construction Safety Officer, CCA Gold Seal, CRSP, etc.
- Related post secondary HSE degrees, diplomas and certification will be considered an asset
- Has been the lead on significant industrial projects managing a team of safety coordinators
- Demonstrates specialist technical knowledge of common construction practices, techniques and equipment in own area.
- Strong computer background including experience with MS Word and Excel.
- Has acquired a strong safety record and the ability to work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to identify problems/issues, looks beyond the immediate problem to the wider implications and generates new solutions to complex problems.
- Creates formal networks internally and externally.
- Explains and presents complex ideas while anticipating potential objections, prepares case accordingly to influence others.
- May act as a facilitator and mentor, moves the team forward, may be a team leader or conduct performance management meetings for supporting or professional staff.
- We offer an exceptional work environment. Management is approachable, ethical and accountable. Innovation is respected, effort is rewarded and job safety is a primary focus for absolutely everyone : zero incidents is the goal. Hours are reasonable, home life is encouraged and remuneration is competitive.
- Site based, rotational position
- Camp and travel provided.