HSE Facility Specialist #29037
Company: Diversified Transportation limited
Role and Responsibilities
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate and / or complete monthly maintenance employee meetings and shop and satellite site inspections.
- Liaise with maintenance department to ensure that all identified safety issues are addressed and controls are implemented.
- Monitor and address any potential or actual environmental hazards.
- Focused on the health, safety and environmental management systems, provide health, safety and environmental guidance, assistance and advice to staff - specifically, the development, promotion and monitoring of safe and healthy work and environmental practices, procedures and corporate programs.
- Maintain the Health, safety and environmental management programs.
- Develop and implement an action plan for continual improvement based on the previous client, COR and NSC’s audit results.
- Mentor, support, and provide appropriate documentation for front line supervisors in the areas of emergency and environmental responses as well as reporting protocols.
- Provide support for all training initiatives – facilitating programs as required, teaching the new hire HSE orientation program with the support of the training department and conducting review sessions in employee safety meetings.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Develop training plans and programs, prepare training materials and deliver training courses as required
- Implement and maintain company HSE Management Systems documentation.
- Perform internal HSE assessments in area of responsibility and reports to management on findings
- Coordinate with operations and maintenance to ensure that monthly employee safety meetings are completed and documented.
- Coordinate required equipment and facility safety inspections at least monthly.
- Participate in the Joint Health and Safety meetings at each facility as able.
- Monitor and action the yards, barns and ponds at each facility ensuring that any spills, releases and potential environmental incidents are managed appropriately.
- Work with all departments and divisions to evaluate, complete and communicate required new or revised procedures.
- Maintain facility safety boards.
- Participate in the Lunch and Learn program, highlighting new policies and procedures.
- Establishes written NCS & OHS standards, reviews and updates annually to secure compliance with all related NCS & OHS acts and company policies.
- Provides companywide direction for occupational hygiene concerns, hazardous material management, loss control and environmental issues.
- Develops best practices and benchmarking for continuous improvement.
- Conducts training needs analysis, development and presentations as required.
- Monitors new and revised legislation and ensures Company’s compliance to legislated requirements. Maintain database of incident files to ensure company documentation for regulatory audits.
- Coach co-workers in DTL policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as required by the HSE Director and SLT
- College diploma/degree in related field - experience in the transportation / logistics industry with knowledge of dispatch is essential
- Proven management experience (5 + years)
- A post secondary education in a related field is an asset
- Familiarity with a unionized work environment is an asset
- Organized with good time management skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Access and Halo.
- Proactive outlook and initiative to service/system improvement.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Sound judgment; excellent planning and organizational skills; well developed analytical, problem solving and decision making skills; proven leadership ability to work within a motivated team.
- Good written and oral communication skills Possess strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop and present material.
- Ability to work with others.
- Ability to read, interpret and write policies, programs and regulations
- Ability to work in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Rely on minimal instructions and pre-established guidelines and timetables to perform the functions of the job
- Interpersonal Skills: The employee works well with others, internally and externally, and demonstrates emotional maturity and professionalism at all times in those relationships.
- Attitude and Dependability: The employee consistently demonstrates a positive attitude towards co-workers, the position and the company. Dependability is key and both attributes reflect the company core values.
- Leadership role: The employee continually demonstrates a leadership role in all aspects of his/her working relationships, duties and responsibilities and vision for moving the company to the highest level of professional conduct and becoming the “Employer of Choice”.
- Professional knowledge: The employee is well versed in Alberta Occupational Health & Safety Standards, Environmental legislation and incident investigation and other areas related to the workplace. Employee is proactive in advancing their knowledge in the area of Health, Safety and Environment.
- Core Values: The employee understands the company core values and consistently works in a manner that supports the core values.
All applications and communications will be held in confidence. For consideration please forward you Resume and Cover Letter to Paul Kainth, Senior Manager, Human Resources
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.