Staff Process Specialist - Gasification #30161
Company: Nexen Inc.
Job ID: 4794
Location: Fort McMurray
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Oil Sands-Tech Services-LL
Posting Close Date: 07/30/2012
Nexen has an excellent asset base and big opportunities for employees. What we do and how we do it means you get the chance to do more at Nexen.
Working for Nexen, the operator of Long Lake, is an opportunity to work for one of the top companies in Canada. Nexen is a Canadian-based oil and gas company with international operations. We're committed to working collaboratively, building our assets and finding new ways of developing our oil and gas resources - conventional and unconventional - through innovative adaptation of technology. This leads to a sustainable outcome, creating value for all of our stakeholders. At Nexen, it's not just what we do that makes us worldwide leaders - it's how we do it.
Long Lake is Canada's newest major oilsands development and the first to integrate in-situ Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) technology with onsite upgrading on a large scale. With input capacity of 70,000 barrels per day of bitumen, Long Lake is the largest SAGD facility in the world. The facility also employs a unique and proprietary upgrading solution that results in production of a Premium Synthetic Crude (PSCTM) oil that is superior to any other produced from the Canadian oilsands - at a distinct cost advantage over other operations.
Long Lake is located approximately 40 km southeast of Fort McMurray, in the Athabasca oilsands of northeastern Alberta. The lease is estimated to hold approximately six billion barrels of bitumen. As operator, Nexen is currently focused on ramping up production to reach an output capacity of 60,000 barrels per day of PSCTM.
This position is a Fort McMurray based position; therefore relocation is required. We offer highly competitive housing/rental assistance programs to all successful candidates.
Nestled in the boreal forest at the confluence of four rivers, Fort McMurray is a thriving, modern and culturally diverse city of 80,000 people. It's a vibrant community rich in history, with an unlimited potential for the future. Fort McMurray offers an attractive lifestyle for individuals and families, including state-of-the-art recreational and cultural facilities, big-city amenities and, of course, the great outdoors.
Apply your proven track record in process engineering and your experience with process modeling to an exciting opportunity in Alberta’s oil sands. Long Lake is the largest SAGD facility in the world and the first to integrate in-situ Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) technology with onsite upgrading on a large scale. The Staff Process Specialist – Gasification supports the Operations Gasification team on executing safe operations, complex process studies, and optimization. This position is critical to the successful operation of the Long Lake upgrader. This position reports to the Area Technical Leader for OrCrude and Asphaltene Gasification Units.
- Provide technical leadership to the operations team on complex process studies, trouble shooting, and optimization to achieve safety, environmental, and cost goals;
- Initiate the design of process improvement projects;
- Establish standards, procedures, and systems for the operation of the upgrader;
- Support area production team to deliver production plan;
- Guide operating teams to assure safe operation of process units;
- Monitor process and equipment performance to optimize and improve performance.
- Chemical engineering degree including APEGA registration or ability to register;
- 20+ years' plant site experience as a process engineer, including extensive experience in gasification;
- Experience with process modeling tools mandatory;
- Experience in project support, pre-commissioning, and commissioning of plants and equipment preferred;
- Thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative team environment:
- Demonstrated experience in hands-on support of operations and technical teams;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
Nexen Inc. offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement.
No agency or telephone inquiries please. Only resumes of candidates being considered will be acknowledged.