Operations Manager #30648
Company: ACUREN Group Inc
Job Band: Executive
Position Status: Full-Time - Non-union
Position Title: Manager, Suncor Operations - AOS
Direct Report To: Managing Director - AOS
Also Responsible To: Regional Managing Directors, Corporate Directors, RSC Senior Staff
The Manager of Suncor Operations is responsible for business within a geographic area and will report directly to the Regional Managing Director. They are responsible for a broad range of duties including but not limited to safety, quality, risk management, human resources, departmental P&L, budgets, and general management.
Standard hours of work: 8 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. Infrequent business travel is to be expected.
Working conditions: Office environment
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta Office
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Ensure compliance with company specific safety programs and the appropriate use of procedures and administrative controls.
- Strategize with your staff to develop a culture that embraces safety, recognizes hazards, and takes action to minimize risk.
- Ensure employees conduct hazard assessments on every job and that all staff understands they are not to take risks and must refuse unsafe work.
- Provide resources to ensure we use quality and appropriate safety equipment, carry out safety training where required, and conduct safety audits on a regular basis.
- Be involved in the investigation of all safety incidents, providing leadership to Division management and project supervision.
- Ensure compliance with ISO or company specific quality programs and the appropriate use of procedures, project supervision and peer review.
- Ensure we provide our clients with quality services and professional reporting in a timely manner.
- Ensure that staff assigned to each project exhibit adequate training and experience.
- Develop supplementary programs where industry training has proven insufficient.
- Ensure our equipment is maintained and calibrated as applicable.
C. Risk Management
- Ensure contract review and order acknowledgement processes are followed.
- Ensure compliance with the company’s driving policies.
- Ensure compliance with the company’s background screening and hiring protocols.
- Adhere to the company Authority Levels Guideline.
D. Personnel Management
- General management, mentoring and supervision of local staff.
- Develop and mentor subordinates to produce effective leaders. Delegate responsibility to ensure staff are empowered and learn management responsibilities.
- Participation in human resource activities for the region including staffing, hiring, performance reviews, successor planning, promotion, counselling, discipline and dismissals.
- Work closely with other management to support cross-utilization of personnel, to insure that the company’s resources are deployed in the most effective manner.
E. P&L Management
- Responsibility for a departmental P&L statement within the region. Analyze and understand the regional P&L on the monthly basis.
- Set limits of authority with staff to ensure wise decisions are made with respect to the company resources.
- Establish a well defined organization with clear lines and limits of authority.
- Management of operational and capital budgets.
- Management of resources including facilities, vehicles, and equipment to ensure safe, secure, cost-effective and efficient operations.
- Oversee administrative functions to eliminate errors and increase efficiencies.
- Participate in the development and management of operational and capital budgets.
F. Service Excellence & Business Development:
- Work with the BD Manager to build client relationships based on the provision of exceptional service and ethical business practices.
- Be active and directly involved with clients in the region.
- Development of new business and markets; maintenance of existing client relationships.
- Improve value of services offered; expand innovative technology to meet customer needs.
- Identify the client’s expectations, clearly define work-scopes and ensure project execution.
- Follow-up to verify customer satisfaction.
- Expand service offerings to new and existing clients.
- Research, identify and evaluate potential joint ventures and acquisitions and integrate those that are successful into the company operations.
- Identify and pursue innovative approaches and/or solutions to client opportunities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Communication Speaks and writes clearly and informatively; Responds well to questions; Practices discretionary listening – does not jump to conclusions before hearing both sides of the story. Effective at communicating at all levels of the organization.
- Leadership Ability to drive program implementation and manage change through direct influence at all levels of the organization.
- Quality Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Adaptability Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Interpersonal Skills Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Teamwork Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to build morale and support group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Organizational Support Provides clear direction to staff where required; Follows corporate policies and procedures; Supports organization’s goals and values; Supports a respectful workplace and respects diversity.
- Planning/Organizing Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Attendance/Punctuality Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability Takes responsibility for actions; Keeps commitments.
- Bachelors degree in business, general management or related field
- In depth knowledge of safety and quality programs
- 7-10 years general management experience
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage people in a service industry
- Understanding of the NDE Industry, industrial environment, or client business an asset
- Strong business acumen
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Superior English competency is required in this region
What we offer:
We offer work in a fast-paced, growing company with potential for career advancement, personal development and growth. Along with challenging learning opportunities, you will find competitive compensation, a comprehensive health and welfare plan (medical, dental, STD, LTD, and life insurance), paid vacation and sick leave, tuition reimbursement and a company RRSP or Union Pension Plan.
We believe in “A Higher Level of Reliability” in everything we do. For our employees, this means providing a safe and respectful workplace and a steady job with opportunities to learn and grow.
We Support an Equal Opportunity Workplace:
Acuren supports a diverse workforce and is a member of the Federal Contractors Program for Employment Equity. Consideration for employment is based upon capabilities and qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established by law. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
If you are interested in this employment opportunity or to see a complete position description, please visit our website at www.acuren.com and go to the Careers tab. Follow the Careers Opportunity link and use the keyword search “Operations”, or email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you, we appreciate your interest in a career at Acuren; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further information. Agency services are not required at this time.