Plumbing/Gas Safety Codes Officer, Training & Deve #74299
Company: Regional Municipality Of Woodbuffalo
This is a permanent full-time position working forty (40) hours per week within the Safety Codes Branch of the Planning and Development Department. This position is within the CUPE 1505 Bargaining Unit. This position is located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo’s urban centre.
A Training and Development opportunity will be considered for this position as per Article 09.03(b) of the CUPE 1505 Collective Agreement. Under general supervision, the Plumbing and Gas Safety Codes Officer will inspect the installation, operation and maintenance of plumbing, gas and private sewage systems to ensure compliance with the relevant codes, standards and regulations.
- Inspect installations for compliance to the appropriate codes, policies and bylaws.
- Examine applications and issue private sewage disposal system permits.
- Prepare notices to alert designers, contractors and homeowners of deficiencies in the design or construction.
- Follow up on conditions and notices to ensure deficiencies are corrected.
- Keep accurate records of inspector’s notices on the Permits Management System.
- Answer general inquiries on plumbing and gas permit and code related matters.
- Investigate non-permit complaints, take the necessary actions and prepare reports on the action taken.
- Gather evidence and prepare files for prosecution and attend court as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Plumbing Group A (installations) and Group B (PSDS) Alberta Safety Code Council Certification is required.
Gas Group A (installations) Alberta Safety Code Council Certification is required.
A minimum of two (2) years’ directly related experience is required.
Under the training and development opportunity, we would consider candidates who are enrolled and/ or completed the following courses:
- 1 of 3 Base Competency Courses through the Alberta Safety Codes Council.
- 1 of 4 Group A Technical Courses through the Alberta Safety Codes Council.
- All 7 Group A courses must be completed within four (4) months from the date of employment. The remaining 2 Group B courses must be completed within twelve (12) months of employment. All courses will be completed at the applicant’s expense. Sufficient time will be provided to work on the course material and the incumbent will be provided with hands on training throughout the four (4) month training period.
- Effective communication, presentation, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills are required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and tactfully handle complex and difficult Code related items.
- Proven ability to read and interpret engineering plans, drawings and specifications.
- Valid Class Five (5) driver’s licence and a personal vehicle for getting to and from the business are required (a clear driving record is an asset).
- Must be willing to attend evening meetings and work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be medically and physically able to perform all the duties of the job on an ongoing basis.
- A Criminal Record Check is required for review and acceptance.
$57.47 (Start Rate)
$67.82 (Permanent Rate)
Permanent rate effective after twelve (12) months of employment.
- excellent training and development opportunities
- an extensive employer paid benefits plan
- an additional annual payment of $12,480 which represents a cost of living allowance