Manager, Accounting Services #74704
Company: Regional Municipality Of Woodbuffalo
This is a permanent full-time position working thirty-five (35) hours per week within the Accounting Services Branch of the Financial Services Department. This position is located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo’s urban centre.
- The Manager, Accounting Services is responsible for overseeing all activities in the Accounting Services section of the Financial Services Department and provides the Municipality with financial expertise regarding generally accepted accounting principles as established by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants.
- Assists the Director, Financial Services with overall program service delivery.
- Manages through direct involvement in daily operations, budgeting, and strategic planning of the overall design and deployment of all department initiatives.
- Ensures all programs are developed according to legislation, industry standards, and best practices.
- Takes a lead role in developing and implementing innovative and practical approaches to department initiatives to ensure all employees are working proficiently and effectively in a productive environment.
- Recruits, trains, and mentors staff.
- Leads staff in the delivery of advice, recommendations, and decision support.
- Maintains a strong financial internal control system to ensure the general ledger data is secure, complete, relevant and reliable.
- Ensures the Municipality meets its legislated financial reporting requirements.
- Assesses impact of Public Service Accounting Board accounting standard changes and provides impact analysis. Works closely with the Information Technology Division to ensure the financial system is safeguarded.
- Recognized Accounting Designation (CMA, CGA, or CA).
- Minimum of ten (10) years experience in an accounting environment. Five (5) years experience at a senior management level.
- An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
- Experience working in a public sector environment with unionized and non-unionized employees considered an asset.
- Detail-oriented with organizational, managerial, and customer service skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly developed analytical, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills, political awareness and sensitivity.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, employees, leaders, and external contacts and interacts in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport.
- Ability to empower people, strong organizational skills, and uses innovative approaches in situations involving rapid change, shifting priorities, and/or simultaneous demands.
- Negotiation, interpersonal, investigation, mediation, and facilitation skills.
- High emotional intelligence capacity including the ability to deal effectively with ambiguity, remain calm and neutral in conflict situations.
- Extensive use of spreadsheet applications.
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer other attractive incentives:
- excellent training and development opportunities
- an extensive employer paid benefits plan
- an additional annual payment of $12,480 which represents a cost of living allowance