Manager, Financial Planning #74705
Company: Regional Municipality Of Woodbuffalo
This is a permanent full-time position working thirty-five (35) hours per week within the Financial Planning Branch of the Financial Services Department. This position is located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo’s urban centre.
- The Manager, Financial Planning is responsible for overseeing all activities of the Financial Planning section within the Financial Services Department and leading municipal-wide analytical financial functions.
- Assists the Director, Finance with overall program service delivery.
- Manages through direct involvement in daily operations, program and corporate operating and capital budgeting, treasury and long-term financial planning of the overall design and deployment of all department initiatives. Ensures all programs are developed according to legislation, policy, industry standards, and best practices.
- Takes a lead role in developing and implementing innovative and practical approaches to department initiatives to ensure all employees are working proficiently and effectively in a productive environment.
- Recruits, trains, and mentors staff. Leads staff in the delivery of advice, recommendations, and decision support.
- Directs and manages the decentralized model of providing financial planning/analytical services. Leads Fiscal Impact Model and Fiscal Management Strategy update process which includes reviewing scenario assumptions, review analysis of the results for reasonableness, and preparation of presentation to the users (Senior Leadership Team, Managers, and external parties such as Industry).
- Manages the process for approved budget adjustments. Leads and manages training programs offered in the various finance functions.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a business related field or recognized professional designation (CMA, CGA, or CA).
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in a financial planning environment. Five (5) years’ experience at a senior management level.
- An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
- Experience working in a public sector environment with unionized and non-unionized employees considered an asset.
- Detail-oriented with organizational, managerial, and customer service skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly developed analytical, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills, political awareness and sensitivity.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, employees, leaders, and external contacts and interacts in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport.
- Ability to empower people, strong organizational skills, and uses innovative approaches in situations involving rapid change, shifting priorities, and/or simultaneous demands.
- Negotiation, interpersonal, investigation, mediation, and facilitation skills.
- High emotional intelligence capacity including the ability to deal effectively with ambiguity, remain calm and neutral in conflict situations.
- Extensive use of spreadsheet applications.
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer other attractive incentives:
- excellent training and development opportunities
- an extensive employer paid benefits plan
- an additional annual payment of $12,480 which represents a cost of living allowance
To apply, please submit:
a cover letter, a resume, and three (3) references by email to
Toll free 1-888-447-5910 ext. 727