Equipment Operator I (Rural) #74706
Company: Regional Municipality Of Woodbuffalo
This is a permanent full-time position working eighty-four (84) hours biweekly within the Underground Services Branch of the Engineering and Environmental Services Department. This position is within the CUPE 1505 Bargaining Unit. This position will be required to work out of the rural communities located approximately fifty (50) kilometres south of Fort McMurray on Highway 881.
- Under general supervision, operate assigned equipment involved in the distribution, collection, and disposal of water, wastewater and waste management in the region.
- Operate related heavy equipment used in the excavation, maintenance, and repair of potable and wastewater systems.
- Operate related heavy equipment used in waste management.
- Assist in the repair and maintenance of potable and wastewater systems.
- Maintain daily operation equipment log detailing condition of equipment, perform minor servicing, and report maintenance problems to supervisory roles.
- Assist in locating underground utilities.
- Read and interpret underground blueprints.
- Deal with the public in a polite manner.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and fueled.
- Review pre-excavation checks with Equipment Operator II, Pipeman and Labourer.
- Undertake standby service on a rotating basis as required and reside within the municipality during that time with ability to respond within one (1) hour.
- Perform general labour duties and other related duties as required.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- One (1) year experience in operating related heavy equipment associated with water and sewer systems (i.e. high velocity jet rodder, combination vacuum truck, wet vacuum truck, high pressure/steamer truck, backhoe (front loader only), loader to 4.5 cubic yard, skidsteer, tandem dump trucks, compressors, mobile pumps, self-propelled compactor vibratory/static, potable water truck).
- Must obtain Alberta Environment certification in water distribution level I and/or wastewater collection level I within two (2) years of hire date.
- You will possess the following:
- Valid Class Three (3) Alberta driver’s licence.
- Clear driving record and Class One (1) driver’s licence are assets.
- Must be able to read and interpret underground water and sewer blueprints and identify hazardous waste symbols and signs.
- Effective communication skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of good safety procedures.
- Must be medically and physically able to perform all duties of this position on an ongoing basis.
- Must be willing to work outside in all-weather conditions and in an unsanitary environment (immunizations are strongly recommended).
$39.70 (Start Rate)
$46.62 (Permanent Rate) *Permanent rate effective after twelve (12) months of employment.
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer other attractive incentives:
- excellent training and development opportunities
- an extensive employer paid benefits plan
- an additional annual payment of $12,480 which represents a cost of living allowance