Alberta Innovates is a provincially-funded Corporation tasked with delivering on the research and innovation priorities of the Government of Alberta. Great ideas and technologies created by Albertans need the best innovation support system we can deliver. All under one roof, innovators, businesses and researchers easily tap into our collective assets – cross sectoral knowledge and expertise, funding, networks and research facilities.
Research and innovation that leads to economic diversification enhanced environmental performance and social well-being is a priority for the Alberta Government. Our province is blessed with abundant natural resources, world-class infrastructure and research institutions, a highly skilled workforce, and a dynamic, entrepreneurial business community. Alberta Innovates harnesses these strengths by acting as the catalyst between government, industry and academia, to solve some of the biggest challenges facing our province.
This position is based in Fort McMurray and requires someone who has a network of local connections and knowledge about the community of Fort McMurray. The incumbent will foster existing relationships and spend time cultivating new ones, since TDA’s connect to the innovative community of business support services, professionals and programs from the Provincial and Federal Government, Colleges, Universities, non-profits and industry contacts. Reporting to the Director of Regional Innovation, the Technology Development Advisor (TDA) is responsible for engaging and advising Small and Medium size Enterprises (SMEs) in business and technology development and commercialization activities in their region (and potentially throughout the province). The TDA acts as a coach, proactive connector and navigator for SMEs to access Alberta’s Innovation System programs and support services. TDA’s also seek out innovative SMEs to address AI sector specific grand challenges. This role will work closely with AI’s client-facing advisors to bring value to clients.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Lending expertise in guiding client through the business, technology development to commercialization opportunities
- Evaluating business plans and market assessments
- Coaching the client through their business and technology readiness journey
- Liaising with internal and external clients to recommend funding opportunities aligned with Alberta Innovates mandate and outcomes
- Connecting client to service provider organization and assist with project development
- Developing and maintain networks outside of Alberta Innovates, and with other SME funding and support conduits and professional service providers to ensure strong due diligence
- Summarizing client due diligence for internal programs
- Fulfilling internal reporting requirements
- Maintaining confidentiality of client information
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in commerce, economics, engineering, or equivalent
- 10+ years in business, manufacturing or production setting, management consulting or leading a technology based SME
- 5 + years in key or senior management and/or business coaching experience
- Demonstrated business sense in a diversified set of industries
- Demonstrated track record of achievements and commitment to excellence
- Experience with growing and developing SMEs in the technology commercialization space
- Strong account management experience with the understanding on maintain and building strong trusted relationships
Other skills and knowledge we are looking for:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, combined with an ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders, both internal and external
- Experience in communicating constructive feedback, coaching and mentoring to help clients grow and improve
- Sharp strategic mind with a creative approach to business, able to work under tight deadlines in high-stake executive environments, with a passion for accuracy and quality
- Community network to support building collaboration among local organizations
- Create synergies and links between TDAs, regions and stakeholders in the innovation system
- Capacity to autonomously gather information, identify important and critical issues, synthesize and articulate findings and present complex issues in simple ways
- Proven project management and organizational skills
- Comfortable working with incomplete information and ability to make intelligent assumptions to produce high level estimates
- Strong skills in technology commercialization, economic development and trade
- Willingness to challenge, question and investigate facts
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Some travel is required
Alberta Innovates offers a competitive benefits package in addition to opportunities for personal and professional achievement. Candidates must have a valid driver’s licence since this position requires travelling. Final candidate will be required to undergo a security clearance.
To apply, please visit our career page at http://albertainnovates.ca/careers/ and apply on Competition #2701. When applying, please submit your resume in a Microsoft Word compatible format. All interviewees must be able to meet the requirement specified in the Physical Demand Analysis. This document will be supplied during the interview process to the successful candidate(s). This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
ALBERTA INNOVATES IS COMMITTED
TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EQUITY IN
EMPLOYMENT AND ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM ALL QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS.
WE WISH TO THANK ALL APPLICANTS FOR THEIR INTEREST, HOWEVER,
ONLY THOSE INVITED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.