Switchboard Operator #74824
Company: Alberta Health Services
- Under the supervision of the Supervisor, Health Information Management, the Switchboard Operator provides services that include operation of the hospital telephone and nurse-call systems, the monitoring of emergency panels in accordance with policies and procedures and General Office duties.
- Receive, record and direct telephone calls for the Health Centre and answer a broad range of inquiries from the general public, patients, staff, visitors and physicians.
- Monitor nurse-call systems, emergency panels and door alarms and transmit announcements on the hospital PA system as per established policies and procedures.
- Page staff and physicians as per established protocol.
- Maintain and update the ‘on-call’ schedule daily.
- Maintain and update beeper assignments in the nurse-call system on every shift.
- Maintain beeper distribution list.
- Separate client records and interfile utilizing terminal digit system and date order.
- Collect and distribute physician reports.
- Generate and print computer reports as required.
- Maintain a positive public image to patients, visitors, staff and physicians.
- Training new staff utilizing a buddy system.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Other duties as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent education.
- Successful completion of Medical Terminology course.
- Previous switchboard or receptionist experience an asset.
- Experience working with computers and call system an asset.
- Familiarity of Alberta Health Services systems and Programs an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and professionally with clients, nursing staff and physicians.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work in a fast paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in the English language.
- Neat and well-groomed appearance.
- Superior Customer Service Skills.
- Minimum typing speed of 50 wpm.
- Proven initiative, ability to work with minimal supervision.
- AHS values the diversity of the people and communities we serve and is committed to attracting, engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- All employees must provide a criminal record check that is satisfactory to AHS in compliance with the AHS Security Screening Procedure.
All employees who work in a patient care location are required to submit a completed Communicable Disease Assessment form.
- All professions must provide proof of licensure or registration with the approved Alberta regulatory college, prior to commencing duties with AHS where applicable: Regulated health professions under the Alberta Health Professions Act and Health Disciplines Act will be required to provide an original copy of a valid practice permit before commencing their duties with AHS. Other professions governed by government acts, college or regulatory body requirements may be required to provide additional documentation.
In addition to a competitive rate of pay, AHS currently has a Fort McMurray Allowance in place to an annual maximum of $12,480. This allowance is non-pensionable and is payable on an hourly basis for all hours paid at the basic rate of pay.