Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic #74831
Company: Regional Municipality Of Woodbuffalo
Under general supervision, perform skilled journeyman level work. This involves preventative and corrective maintenance, inspections, modifications, installation/dismantling of systems and projects within the trade; troubleshooting, diagnosing and repairing municipal equipment, as well as inspecting the work of contractors. Position exercises considerable degree of independent judgement although the work is subject to inspection.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Organizing and performing a variety of work involving corrective and preventative maintenance, repairs, alteration and installation of systems and equipment appropriate to the trade.
- Requisitioning materials and supplies, as required.
- Providing input into technical data, specifications, and cost estimates.
- Performing design modifications relating to trade systems.
- Complying with various quality, safety and trade codes related regulations and standards.
- Supporting and participating in various health and safety, energy conservation and operational cost effectiveness and initiatives.
- Maintaining current operational and maintenance manuals, reference manuals, spare parts lists, blueprints, etc.
- Assist in developing short-term goals and objectives, project estimates, and preventative maintenance schedules.
- Will be required to undertake standby service on a rotating basis as assigned.
- Will be required to travel and stay for several days in remote locations to undertake maintenance activities as needed.
- Must have own tools (Supervisor's discretion).
- Shift rotation will be required.
- Will be required to work on landfill equipment as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Certified Alberta Journeyman in the trade of Heavy Equipment Technician is required (Inter-Provincial/Red Seal certification is an asset).
- Eighteen (18) months experience as a Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic in areas specific to municipal operations and the particular trade is required.
- Must have a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a mixed fleet environment.
- Experience in municipal operations is a definite asset.
- Dual tickets will be considered an asset.
You will possess the following:
- Valid Alberta Class Five (5) driver's license and ‘Q’ endorsement brakes required, with willingness to obtain an Alberta Class Three (3) driver’s license.
- Valid First Aid Certificate (within first six (6) months of employment).
- Basic computer skills are required.
- Ability to understand and execute verbal and written instructions, read blueprints, and interprets plans and specifications.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative, collaborative and productive work relationships.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Must be medically and physically able to perform all of the duties of the Trade on an ongoing basis.
- Must be able to work in hazardous, unsanitary conditions and in all weather conditions. Immunizations strongly recommended.
- Must be able to determine priority in case of emergency.
This position is evaluated at a Pay Level 15, but has been adjusted to reflect
current market conditions. * Permanent rate effective after twelve (12) months of employment.
$ 55.73 (Start Rate)
$ 65.44 (Permanent Rate)
$ 50.01 (Start Rate)
$ 58.95 (Permanent Rate)
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer other attractive incentives:
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- An extensive employer paid benefits plan
- An additional annual payment of $12,480 which represents a cost of living allowance